Friday, September 19, 2008

Derek's Birthday

Well my cute little high-maintenance boy is now a "whole hand" old. He is such a sweet, loving, cuddly, squishy, drama-prone little boy. We love him so much and are so glad he is part of our family.

His birthday was a little crazy because he and Brooklyn both had soccer practice, but afterward, we had pizza, opened presents, and had cake. He told me he wanted a "racetrack" cake (that was shaped like the #5), so I made a feeble attempt. He was also very happy to get a new bike for his birthday. We often go on little bike ride/runs with the kids. The kids ride their bikes and Kev and I run. Poor little Derek has either had to try to keep up on his little tricycle or has had to ride in the double jogger. He was thrilled to be a big boy now and have his own bike. He is fearless though, so I'm a little worried about what the future may hold. After all, he is our only child so far who's ever had stitches. I'm sure there will be more to come. The other day I found him scaling the rock on the neighbor's house. He thought it was his very own rock climbing wall. I was mortified and petrified at the same time! I've also often found him climbing on top of playgrounds instead of on playgrounds. He thinks he is invincible!

Even Benjamin was happy to celebrate Derek's birthday!

2 comments:

Sonda said...

Happy Birthday, Derek! Great cake, Mel.

Banks Family said...

I am very impressed with your cake!!