Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Happy Birthday Benjamin!

On March 17th, our little Benjamin turned 1! I can't believe it! He is getting so big! Sadly, I had strep throat on his birthday and was pretty out of it.

Brooklyn wanted to make Ben's birthday cake, which I was happy about because I was sick. Poor little Brooklyn worked so hard and did a great job, but just as she was putting the cake in the oven, she let go too early and the cake went tumbling and fell face down on the bottom of the preheated oven. It was one of those slow motion moments where I heard myself slowly say, "Nooooooo". It was tough to watch--I was trying to be sympathetic to her, but also trying not to freak out at the same time. She felt really bad. I had to wait for the oven to cool down and then scrape all the cake out of the oven and out of the oven drawer that it dripped down into. It was a MESS!

However, we were able to start over and make a new cake and it turned out great! Brooklyn even frosted and decorated it too! I wrote "Happy 1st Birthday Benjamin" on it and then she did the rest. Derek helped a little too. They got a little carried away, but had a great time! It's a good thing that Ben is only 1 and didn't realize his cake was a little ...er...uh.... scary.

"Happy...what!??"

Ben looks a little concerned about his cake.

We let Ben "enjoy" his 1st birthday cake...he didn't quite know what to do with it.

He figured it out pretty quickly though...it's in the genes...

Since he's almost ready to walk, we got him a little music walker thingy.

No comments: